Ai_recovery error 1029

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by magifix, Mar 27, 2012.

1. magifix

magifix New Member

Hi all,

After receiving my UX31 notebook, I did made the recovery DVD, including verification of the DVD.

Yesterday, my notebook was completly locked, no way to shutdown. So I decided switch off. Since then the Windows 7 partition is corrupted, and the recovery partion seems also to be defect (booting with F9 and then EMS boot drives to a big ERROR message on the screen).

I then tried to recovery from DVD. Unfortunatly, after few seconds, I get the error message 1029, which seems to be well knowned on Internet posts.

Contacting Asus support, they suggest 2 solutions:
    • Order the recovery DVD, which can't be ordered from Switzerland (serviceshop.asus.com)!
    • Send the notebook to the repait center
    This can't be serious, has any one a suggestion to recover without buying Windows 7 again? I also intend to give try to Linux, but want to be able to go back to windows.

Thanks and best regards

2. omnius

omnius New Member

A bit late to the party (just got my Zenbook and registered today), but in my opinion, I would just buy an OEM version of Win7 and install it from scratch (like I've always done when buying a new laptop). Yes, it's an additonal cost, but well worth it.

Some information if anybody are interested: Made the backup DVD's and the ISO files as soon as I got the laptop. Made a restore, and everything worked fine. Did a full install of a new Win7 OEM. Diskspace used when I received the laptop: appr. 42Gb. Diskspace used after installing Win7 Professional (whitout the Hibernate file): appr. 7-8 Gb. Don't know if this is a Asus forum, and if it is, I guess I shouldn't say this, but there are a lot of programs installed that at least I don't need.

I guess the OP have solved this problem with the startup, but if not, please respond to this thread, and I'll do the best I can to help you.

Anyway, what a beautiful laptop this is! And I'm just getting used to the new keyboard for this post. First time with Asus, using another (very light in weight) brand for about 15 years.

3. magifix

magifix New Member

Thanks for reply.

I sent my latop for the third time to the repair center in between. The first time, they replaced the ssd and the motherboard, When I received it, it worked fine untill the next shutdown (2-3 hours), but since them I was no more able to switch on again. The third time exacltly the same.

I agree with, this is a nice laptop, but the repair center here in Switzerland is very bad. After the first repair, I were able to give a look at the partioning, there is a first partition named RECOVERY of size 7.9 GB and of type NFS. The second partition uses the remaining part of the ssd and is of type NTFS, I'm almost sure that the first replacing of the ssd and the mother was unnecessary. Actually my laptop is still in the repair center, and I would say if it not suceed this time, I will be looking for somthing else. My three collegues who have buyed Macbooks air are really laghfing!

4. omnius

omnius New Member

It's sad to hear your story, and I understand that you are looking at something else if they don't mange to fix it.

Yes, I looked at the partition table before the clean install. This is why I did a restore from the created DVD's prior to the fresh Win7 install (to see if all the partitions were created like default). After the restore, everything looked like the default installation, so I went ahead with the new Windows 7 Professional installation.

Deleted all partitions and made one 30Gb C partition and the rest for D (for storing data). Installed all the drivers that were downloaded from Asus. Had problem with the USB 3.0 speed, but when testing it today with two different USB 3.0 memory pens, they all worked fine for some reason (around 100 Mb/s read speed and 40-60 Mb/s write speed). Excellent!

I add this information to show that a fresh install of Windows 7 works fine, and my suggestion is to do just that. I can't see any reason why it should work, but at least you have done something. Asus and all other manufacturers I know install a lot of software on new computers to make them cheaper and to "hold your hand" in many ways. Understandable. If they didn't, we would probably have to pay more for the computers. But for the last laptops I have bought, I always add the Windows OS on top of the total price (this time USD 138 for a OEM Windows 7 Professional). I think this has saved me a lot of problems. Ok, not a perfect way of doing things, but it works.

Also note that when receiving the computer, it had about 41Gb installed on the C drive. Of course it probably includes the restore files, but a lot of this is bits and peaces I don't really need. After restore using the Asus DVD's, the usage were appr. 27Gb. After the Win7 install, disk usage were 8,5Gb (with no Hibernate file and swap file set to a fixed size).

So, if you get the laptop back and you still have problems, I would maybe borrow an original Windows 7 DVD from somebody to test if it works (you have 30 days to register a new copy of Win7, and as soon as it's registered, it's locked to that motherbord if I understand it correct). If it works, buy a Windows 7 and install it fresh (delete all the partitions), and you have a great machine.

I can understand the frustration of your friends having fun with this. The macs are fine machines, but they use the same CPU, same video card, probably same memory and many times the same SSD, so I really think it's a software problem (like I said, Asus and all other companies on the Win platform installs a lot of software to get them cheaper, and sometimes there could be a conflict somewhere).

Hope you get it sorted out fine, and I would appreciate if you could update this thread how it goes (it would give me some interesting information if it works with a fresh Win7 install).

Thanks!

5. SmoothTrickle

SmoothTrickle New Member

omnius,
    I accidentally deleted the recovery partition on my UX31 and now after a fresh install I get an error when I try to install the proper drivers. The error says that the drivers only work on an Asus machine. Can you please upload your copy of the partition somewhere so I can get a copy and get my machine back to proper working order? Right now the touchpad does not work properly.

Thanks