Does anybody from Asus follow this forum?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Carl Brady, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Carl Brady

Carl Brady New Member

Hello Asus: does anybody there pay any attention to this forum. I see lots of complaints RE the keyboard on the Zenbook, and the fact that it is impossible to disable the touchpad - causing problems with the cursor jumping around when typing. It is impossible to disable the touchpad.

Can you do something about that.

2. JRW-910

JRW-910 Administrator Staff Member

I don't believe that any official from ASUS actually follows this site. I created it to bring Zenbook users together to possibly help each other with issues they might encounter.

What happens when you use the key combo of fn + f9? It disables the track-pad successfully for me.

-JRW

3. Carl Brady

Carl Brady New Member

Thanks for the reply. Nothing happens (Windows 8 Pro 64 bit). The little circular windows busy thingy pops-up momentarily and that's it.

4. Carl Brady

Carl Brady New Member

Thanks for the forum. I hope somebody can come up with a solution. I do not know what version of Zenbook I have or how to find out. The screen says Ultrabook. I have a low tech solution - scotch tape a piece of cardboard over the touch pad - works pretty well, but is embarrasing on a crowded airplane.

5. JRW-910

It sounds like your touch-pad software isn't working correctly. You can go to ASUS's website and download a newer version of the software. It might detect which Zenbook you own... or you can enter the serial on the bottom of the ultrabook to figure it out.

You can also try going into your control panel and clicking on 'Mouse'. Under the ELAN tab you'll see a button that says 'stop device'.

Let me know how you make out.

-JRW

6. Carl Brady

Carl Brady New Member

Late update: I tried the suggested fix in the op man for my Zenbook. My Zenbook apparently has a Sentelic touchpad. the Op Man says click the "finger sensing tab" then click the "Configure" button, and then find etc.etc. However, when I click the "Configure" button, the only thing that happens is that the Configure window goes away (aka closes with no trace). So, I got frustrated and uninstalled the driver for the Sentelic touch pad and guess what. When I re-boot, the OS senses the touch pad as a PS2 mouse and configures it so that I cannot disable it either by uninstalling it, fn+f9, or disable (not available). Tried to uninstall, but everytime I re-boot, "its back". I guess the cardboard trick is my only option.

7. Carl Brady

Carl Brady New Member

Thanks for the latest suggestion, but no "Elan" tab on "Mouse". I found some suggestions @ rog.asus.com. What the heck, nothing to lose now. Might as well spend the rest of the day trying to find and install new drivers. I strongly suspect conflicts with W8

8. Carl Brady

Carl Brady New Member

Now I know that my Zenbook is a UX31E, but cannot make heads or tails of what drivers I need and/or how to install. I tried ASUS Smart Gesture, but it will not install because "Wrong touchpad". Download site at ASUS worse than useless. It's confusing and useless. For example, are the BIOS updates cumulative or must they be installed sequentially? The question is rhetorical anyhow because they cannot be "unzipped" to anything useful, and come complete without instructions.

9. JRW-910

I'm sorry... I didn't know that you had a newer version with the Sentelic touch pad and Windows 8. My guess is that a bios update isn't going to help. Are you running Win 8 32bit or 64bit?

-JRW

10. CharlesWillson

CharlesWillson New Member

If still you have this problem you can contact to Asus Tech Supportdirectly for the free solution. They will surely help you.

11. Carl Brady

Carl Brady New Member

Hi Charles: The problem was solved so long ago that I don't remember how, but it did involve going to "Mouse" and pointing devices in Control Panel. Somewhere in there, is an option to "disable touch pad when mouse is present". Recently it appears that f9 key works apparently due to some update from either Microsoft or Asus when a mouse is plugged in to one of the USB ports. I am using Windows 8 64 bit.

At the time I figured out the problem, I posted my solution on this forum - dunno where it went