USB 3.0 problem

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by Arthur, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Arthur

Arthur New Member

Just got my UX31 yesterday and the first thing I did was update all of the drivers with asus live update and then update the windows updates.

Everything has gone well except that when I pluged my Samsung 1TB, USB 3.0, 2.5" drive into the 3.0 port windows tried to install a driver for it but failed and now it just powers on but doesn't come up as a drive even in disc management.

The drive works well in another laptop i've tried it with that had usb 3.0 and it works fine on the zenbook's 2.0 port so I'm fairly sure it's a driver related issue rather than any problem with the drive itself. Also I have tried a 1GB flash drive in the 3.0 port which worked fine.

I have tried updating the usb 3.0 drive to the latest version via asus' driver database but have got the same result.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm feeling like a reinstall without the asus bloatware might help but would like to avoid if possible. Any help or suggestions are appriciated!

2. omnius

omnius New Member

I have the same problem after a new Win7 install. Mention this in another thread, but just to bump this thread, I'll add it here as well.

Hope Asus can look into this.

3. Arthur

Arthur New Member

I'd be interested to see your thread if you could direct me. Further to what I said above I have returned both the zenbook and the Samsung HDD for repair and both companys have denyed any problem with their devices. I have tried another usb 3.0 Hitachi drive which installed and is working fine so I suspect it may be a compatability issue with the Samsung drive. Are you having the issue with a Samsung S2 drive also?

4. omnius

omnius New Member

In my case, It's a fresh install of a Win7 Professional on a new Zenbook. Tested the USB 3.0 speed prior to do the fresh install, and everything worked fine (up to 80-90+ Mb/s transfer speed). Downloaded alle the Asus Zenbook drivers prior to do the fresh install (appr. 750 Mb in total!). Everything works fine except for the USB 3.0 driver. So, It's a Asus driver problem. I have teste 3 different USB 3.0 devices, and they all runs at USB 2.0 speed. Testing the same devices on other computers gives the correct speed (50 to 120 Mb/s depending on the files used).

The Asus Zenbook laptop is a very nice computer, but the USB 3.0 is one of the reasons I bought it. I guess Asus will look into this and update the driver, but for now it's not working as it should. I'm still in the "testing phase" of the laptop, so I might do a restore from the DVD´s I made to see if the USB speed is as it should.

It will not be sent in for repair as I expect this to be solved. And, if it shouldn't be solved in a reasonable time, it's still a nice laptop. I can live with USB 2.0 speed, but the higher USB speed is one of the main reason I upgraded my laptop.