WiFi Connectivity Problem

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by Jeff, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Jeff

Jeff New Member

I just picked up a UX31E yesterday and am having some problems with the WiFi. The connection speed is often very slow, and sometimes drops out all together. I've checked the settings in power management and everything seems to be in order, as well as the driver situation (no updates I can find). Has anyone else experienced this issue? The network adapter is listed as Atheros AR9485WB-EG.

2. Jeff

Jeff New Member

An update rolled out today for the WiFi card. So far so good. It's been a few hours now with no problems, so hopefully this solution is final.

3. Igor

Igor New Member

Hi Jeff,

Can you tell me where you have found this driver upgrade?
    I have UX31E as well. But I have a lot of problems with WiFi, and my driver version is 9.2.1.470 which seem to be the latest.
    Have to say I am quite disappointed with zenbook, due to these WiFi issues, not something I was hoping for...
    Anyone with WiFi problems out there ?

4. steve

steve New Member

Hi Igor
    I am having the same problem, did you ever find a solution? Thanks
    Steve

5. Igor

Igor New Member

Hi Steve,
    What I did at the end was to uninstall all Asus specific tools so wifi is operated by Windows only. This helped to a certain extent and loosing signal was not so often as it used to be. Still, at the end it looked like quite bad WiFi card and I guess aluminum casing is also not helping the signal either.
    Igor

6. steve

steve New Member

Hi Igor
    I did a bios update to 212 which If I recall correctly is the current version, and I ran Asus update, and updated all the Asus utilities, there were about 12 of them including an update to Asus update. Everything has been working fine since then, so far no problems.
    Steve

JRW-910 likes this.
  7. JRW-910

JRW-910 Administrator Staff Member

Having up to date drivers and bios is important!

-JRW

8. Peter

Peter New Member

9. Maja Karlsson

Maja Karlsson New Member

Having the same problem with UX31A. As far as I can see all my drivers are up to date. Downloaded BIOS from asus support site, but the flasher said my current BIOS was newer, so...
    It seems kind of messy with windows AND asus tryng to manage wifi, power saving etc... Too many cooks?

In my Device Manager, I have 3 instances of wifi:
    Intel (R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6235
    Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter
    Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter #2

10. Maja Karlsson

Maja Karlsson New Member

This is seriously the worst wifi-situation I have ever encountered. How can Asus ship this computer? Every other computer or mobile picks up my home wifi or my work wifi in several romms of the house/workplace, but my UX31A have to be directly facing the router. I don't understand this... the purpose of the ultrabook is to be portable, but this issue prevents me from moving!!

Please advice

11. Chris P

Chris P New Member

12. JRW-910

JRW-910 Administrator Staff Member

That will obviously work... but shouldn't be needed. This is another problem that I haven't been able to replicate and might just be a defect with your unit.

-JRW

13. florin

florin New Member

14. Edi

Edi New Member

Is anyone using the Zenbook UX301? My network adapter lasts about 2 minutes, and then I get dropped off the wi-fi network. Any ideas?